History

Edward Storey’s Foundation

Edward Storey lived in Cambridge and was a captain, gentleman and bookseller. He died in 1692/3 and in his will requested that, should his son die without an heir of his own, his estate was to be used to buy land in Cambridge.

His instructions stated that ten almshouses should be built and ten almswomen appointed. He specified that they should be “four widows of Ministers of the Church of England, two widows and one maiden in the Parish of St Giles and three maidens in the Parish of Holy Trinity, Cambridge”. All were to be “forty years of age at least, and of sober life and conversation”. The almswomen were to be given £10 a year out of the rent and profits from the estate plus “a gown of sad-coloured cloth, about the value of twenty shillings yearly” and “two pairs of shoes and a pair of stockings at Christmas and Midsummer”.

Since then the Foundation has modernised and grown. Following a merger with the Wray, Jackenett, Merrill and Elie Trust in March 2009 we now have over 100 sheltered flats or residential care rooms in and around Cambridge.

Wray, Jackenett, Merrill & Elie Trust

Like Edward Storey, Reginald Ely left money in his will for almshouses when he died in 1463. Three further gentlemen did the same: Henry Wray (died 1634), Joseph Merrill (died 1805) and Thomas Jackenett (died 1899). In 1971 these four charities were combined and the resources invested in 30 purpose-built flats in Chesterton, Cambridge.